Education through Music
Music is the best discovery of man. As one of the highest forms of expression, man was able to turn to music as his form of catharsis. Songs were written out of the deepest feelings and the best thoughts about life and love.
Music is appreciated by people from all walks of life and all ages (adults and kids alike). The benefits of music for adults are obvious. For children, there are numerous special benefits of music and learning different instruments. At an early age, there are children who manifest great interest and talent when it comes to music. However, it does not mean that those who only show early interests are the only ones who must learn and enjoy the benefits.
- Music education and learning how to play musical instruments develop the child’s left side of the brain which is involved in the processing of language. Also, it nurtures the child’s spatial intelligence since there is a link between music and this kind of intelligence. This intelligence is about identifying things that may come together up to solving mathematical problems.
- Music as a form of Art really helps kids grow up with creativity. Through art, they could think in all aspects and not merely search for one concrete answer. This is where critical-thinking starts. There is also one study that shows how much it could help students develop special academic skills. The results state that children who learn music excel in achievement tests in high school compared to those who do not.
- Through music, a child could get easily exposed to different people, different cultures. This would allow them to know, discover, explore and understand other people and other culture. This is an early training for them to be exposed to what the world is.
- Children also get educated on how to build the craftsman in them. Moreover, in playing the instrument, mastery is a factor. That makes a mistake- really a mistake. With this, a student learns the value of consistent effort to achieve excellence or satisfaction. Learning how to play instruments in a group makes a child learn the essence of teamwork.
- Musical instruments will teach children to actively participate in learning than sit down and observe only. Furthermore, it will enhance his self-expression. The most important thing is that children learn to conquer their fears, show their talents and share what they have. This is a foundation of a better growth and development in the holistic sense.
Education has the most flexible range. As much as possible it could extend its arms on every aspect that may mold a person into somebody who would be of real life, living not just for his/her very self. But, for the world.